As any owner of free range dogs knows your furniture can sometimes take the ultimate toll; for instance, us. We used to have nice leather furniture about 10 years ago. When it was brand new. At first there were just a few scratches that we fretted over, and eventually, we ended up looking at this:
A wonderful plaid lap throw became our quick fix for a bit, but the hole just kept getting larger. With Thanksgiving a little more than a week away and the relatives coming to visit, I knew action had to be taken and fast. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on another couch whose fate would be the same as above. I understand that inevitably, I will have to make the investment, that this couch will not function, but until then, I’m milkin’ it.
I’m not a skilled seamstress who can tailor fit a whole couch cover, and honestly, the top part isn’t so bad. We had been using a lap throw (which slipped around and came undone a lot) but that didn’t look too good. My husband came up with the idea of using a dowel stick to help keep a cover in place, so we ran with it.
Jo-ann Crafts Store had a Veteran’s Day special for 60% off all decor fabric – yea! – so we ran down there and got what we needed to the tune of $38. That’s 1 3/4 yards of nice upholstery fabric with a 54″ selvedge. Don’t you love it when you get a deal? 🙂
Our search for a proper sized dowel stick turned into a search for a closet rod, which we found at the local DIY store where they cut it to size for all of $3.
Since I’m a beginning seamstress, I did what seemed right, and the first step was to measure the seam allowance the for the dowel and mark it off.
For the edges I sewed an inch allowance, and the bottom I think was like 6 inches. I know, a crappy tall seam, but it was really hard to figure out that particular measurement. If you make this, your allowances will most likely be different.
Of course, on the last 2 feet of the last seam, the bobbin ran out. *sigh* I always try to overshoot for the amount of thread I’ll need, but it never seems to work in my favor. The closet rod was a tight fit and needed some coaxing, but my daughter and I finally got it into a fairly good position. Et voila!
I think we have hit the solution for our problem. I hope it lasts, but for $41 dollars, I think we can update this look every year!
See you in the funny pages!