As any owner of free range dogs knows your furniture can sometimes take the ultimate toll; for instance, us. We used to have nice leather furniture about 10 years ago. When it was brand new. At first it there were just a few scratches that we fretted over, and eventually, we ended up looking at this:
The victim. The plaid lap throws just weren’t cuttin’ it anymore.
A wonderful plaid lap throw became our quick fix for a bit, but the whole just kept getting larger. With Thanksgiving a little more than a week away and the relatives coming to visit, I knew action had to be taken and fast. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on another couch whose fate would be the same as above. I understand that inevitably, I will have to make the investment, that this couch will not function, but until then, I’m milkin’ it.
I’m not a skilled seamstress who can tailor fit a whole couch cover, and honestly, the top part isn’t so bad. We had been using a lap throw (which slipped around and came undone a lot) but that didn’t look too good. My husband came up with the idea of using a dowel stick to help keep a cover in place, so we ran with it.
Jo-ann Crafts Store had a Veteran’s Day special for 60% off all decor fabric – yea! – so we ran down there and got what we needed to the tune of $38. That’s 1 3/4 yards of nice upholstery fabric with a 54″ selvedge. Don’t you love it when you get a deal? :-)
This is the real pretty material we found!
Our search for a proper sized dowel stick turned into a search for a closet rod, which we found at the local DIY store where they cut it to size for all of $3.
Since I’m a beginning seamstress, I did what seemed right, and the first step was to measure the seam allowance the for the dowel and mark it off.
Figure out how much leeway you want to give the rod. I went with a loose fit; you can always tighten it up if it doesn’t work
Make sure to mark where you’re going to pin with chalk or colored pencil or anything that will stay around long enough to get your stitches done.
This always happens when I first start a project for one reason or another – grrr!
I was so proud of my cheap little Singer!
For the edges I sewed an inch allowance, and the bottom I think was like 6 inches. I know, a crappy tall seam, but it was really hard to figure out that particular measurement. If you make this, your allowances will most likely be different.
Of course, on the last 2 feet of the last seam, the bobbin ran out. *sigh* I always try to overshoot for the amount of thread I’ll need, but it never seems to work in my favor. The closet rod was a tight fit and needed some coaxing, but my daughter and I finally got it into a fairly good position. Et voila!
I think we have hit the solution for our problem. I hope it lasts, but for $41 dollars, I think we can update this look every year!
See you in the funny pages!